Steele Auto Group is committed to providing the Best Customer Buying Experience and to solidify ourselves as the “Destination of Choice for Everything Auto” for employees and customers alike.
Steele Auto Group is seeking a Senior Payroll & Benefits Advisor to join our team in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. As one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies, the Steele Auto Group is committed to the growth and development of our employees. We believe we are only as strong as our staff, so if you are looking for a challenging, rewarding and exciting career, we invite you to apply today.
The Senior Payroll and Benefits Advisor, under the direction of the Assistant Corporate Controller, will be responsible for oversight and administration for the company/dealership compensation, benefits, payroll, RSP and other related responsibilities. The Senior Payroll and Benefits Advisor will assist the Corporate Finance team with the implementation of a centralized payroll structure from the current decentralized structure, and will play a key role in the transition to a new workforce management system.
This individual will be responsible for advising on all aspects of the company payroll and benefits programs and administration, including designing, planning, and implementing corporate policies and procedures that adhere to legal requirements. They will be required to communicate with members of the senior management team on a number of issues, findings, and recommendations. The Senior Payroll and Benefits Advisor will achieve these goals in a cost-effective manner, while administering compensation, benefits, and RSP’s that meet the needs of employees. This is a working role, and the successful candidate will require a strong background in change management.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead the conversion of decentralized payroll into a centralized payroll structure.
- Advise and assist on interpretation and the administration of compensation, benefits payroll and RSP.
- Oversee the classification and rating of occupations for compensation purposes.
- Ensure compliance with Pay Equity.
- Administer compensation and benefits programs that align with performance expectations.
- Analyze and modify compensation and benefits policies to establish competitive programs and ensure compliance with legal requirements.
- Develop and/or administer special projects in areas such as pay equity, benefit programs, and employee awards.
- Coordinate the payroll process with other departments for the purpose of delivering services in compliance with established guidelines.
- In conjunction with the Human Resources team, liaise with a variety of wellness and benefit vendors to acquire and coordinate services.
- Advise on assigned payroll activities and/or program components for the purpose of ensuring effective department functioning, coordinating activities and ensuring compliance with established financial, legal and/or administrative requirements.
- Identify and correct any out of balance conditions.
- Examine automated systems outputs such as registers and standard reports.
- Prepare and oversee the preparation of a variety of payroll related documents (e.g., invoices for overpayments, retirement plan transfers, payroll register, stop payments, workers' compensation cheques, etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities and issues, meeting compliance requirements, and providing audit references.
- Reconcile account balances for the purpose of maintaining accurate account balances and complying with related policies, practices and/or regulations.
- Research discrepancies of payroll information and/or documentation (e.g., time sheets, leave time, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring accuracy and adherence to procedures prior to processing.
- Inform personnel and/or carriers and/or financial institutions regarding required documentation and/or procedures for the purpose of conveying information necessary to complete transactions.
- Compile data from a wide variety of sources (e.g., time sheets/payroll, salary adjustments, tax deposits, etc.) for the purpose of analyzing issues, ensuring compliance with mandated requirements, and/or monitoring program components.
- Verify a variety of payroll related information (e.g., time sheets, direct deposits, wage attachments, benefits, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring accurate distribution of funds and payroll.
- Maintain a wide variety of payroll information, files, and records in written and electronic formats for the purpose of providing an up-to-date reference and audit trail for compliance.
- Communicate with a variety of internal and external parties (local/provincial/federal agencies, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring accurate processing of payroll deductions/garnishments.
- Respond to written and verbal inquiries for the purpose of providing information and/or direction.
- Other duties as required.
- Degree or College Diploma in a related field (i.e., Business Administration, Human Resources, or Accounting) is an asset.
- CPM or PCP Certification considered a strong asset.
- Minimum of 7 years' working experience, a combination of Business Accounting and Payroll Management experiences an asset.
- Experience in automotive dealership payroll, or a payroll environment including commissioned sales, flat rate pay plans and taxable benefits.
- Proven ability to build strong working relationships, internal and external to the organization.
- Strong knowledge of payroll systems, internal controls, and management. Previous experience working with UltiPro considered a strong asset.
- Advanced proficiency with accounting software and payroll programs and applications.
- Knowledge of audits, income tax forms, stock option programs, health benefits programs, sick pay, retirement plans, and so on.
- Good knowledge of accounting, general/bought/sales ledger, journal entries, and bookkeeping experience.
- Ability to prepare ad hoc reports using Microsoft Excel.
- A flexible team player with a proven ability to work successfully in a matrix reporting environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of change management.
- Ability to develop and implement strategies.
- Effective communication skills with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Computer literacy, including effective working skills of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and e-mail required.
If you want to work for an organization that values and rewards hard work, innovative thinking, and continuous improvement, please apply today; be sure to include your resume and cover letter.
We sincerely thank our applicants interested in this opportunity and wish to advise that only candidates invited for an interview will be contacted. Steele Auto Group strives to fill positions by drawing from internal candidates possessing the desired qualifications and to promote from within, where possible.
Steele Auto Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If selected for an interview, please advise us of any accommodations you may require throughout the recruitment process. To learn more about our company, culture and opportunities please visit www.steeleauto.com