The Public Relations & Media Manager is responsible for planning, developing, and implementing external communications and public relations activities to proactively promote Cox Automotive Canada (CAC), its brand, its reputation and key business objectives. The PR and Media Manager will acts as a key front-line media relations contact and spokesperson for the organization. The incumbent will direct and execute local/regional and international communications and public relations campaigns and events targeting print, online, broadcast and social media. The incumbent will also be responsible for leading the development and execution of the company's employer brand and corporate social responsibility programs. Leads cross-functional teams to execute various elements of public relations plans.
Our ideal candidate will have experience in managing public relations initiatives that produce strong, measurable results in promoting company messaging, industry contributions and core product offerings. Key responsibilities include:
- Responsible for planning and implementation of all external communications initiatives that support Cox Automotive Canada and its brands, as leading providers of products and services that span the automotive ecosystem worldwide.
- Develops and executes high-level, strategic external communications and public relations plans and campaigns designed to support the business strategies and increase overall public awareness of the company's brand, innovative products and services and key business objectives.
- Responsible for building and maintaining a positive company image by managing communication strategies and tactics that promote related products and services, organizational developments such as new business ventures and support overall brand positioning and messaging.
- This position will serve as the subject matter expert on CAC and its related businesses and will advise on management of related PR and media relations activities for products and services, marketing, competitive positioning, community relations, crisis communications and employee issues.
- Programs and tactics executed should effectively position the company and brands as the best choices for the automotive industry including wholesale and retail services.
- Builds strong proactive relationships with national and trade media and industry representatives to help generate positive coverage and mitigate potentially negative coverage.
- Looks for opportunities to position CAC and its businesses as drivers of innovative and creative solutions that benefit customers and the industry.
- Provides communications support for marketing and sales, corporate brand initiatives and may be required to advise and manage communications initiatives for other parts of the company as needed.
- Works to build company visibility and a strong company image. This includes creating awareness around the automotive industry and its economic value to the industry and its clients in furthering Cox Automotive’s vision to transform the way the world buys, sells and owns cars.
- Creates Public Relations programs that position CAC and its businesses as industry and a thought leader and innovative industry-leader to the media as well as current and potential customers. Reinforces the long-time investment and commitment the companies provide to the wholesale, remarketing and auto industry.
- Collaborates with CAC Internal communications to develop teams and employee communications to execute strategies and plans to promote the company and its offerings among internal and external audiences.
- Partners with Industry Relations to coordinate and support strategic speaking engagements, awards, national and local media tours to promote the organization, its brands and its leaders.
- Provides tools such as briefing materials and messaging, ensuring consistency among field and corporate leadership and the media.
- Works with the President and Senior Leaders to support general national media opportunities and to formulate complementary PR strategies and tactics for CAC and the brands.
- Establishes and leverages strong partnerships with key departments and internal/external customers.
- Assists with monitoring, tracking and distribution of relevant industry and company news coverage; generates internal reports and activities, as needed.
- Writes and edits press releases and other external materials
- Provides media coaching and training, as needed, to enhance corporate and field leadership presence.
- Works collaboratively with leadership to help identify local story ideas that enhance local visibility and demonstrate the company’s business value and community giving.
- University degree or College diploma in Business Management, Communications or a related degree
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ experience in the public relations field; experience in a corporate environment preferred.
- Able to collaborate with a team, solid communicator and be able to formulate and recognize good ideas, evaluate business initiatives/programs based on business objectives and company values and manage all aspects of successful implementation.
- Experience communicating in high-pressure and crisis situations.
- Experience and expertise in leveraging social media, press rooms to help build brands and promote a strong company image are a plus with the ability to effectively champion programs and strategies.
- Requires excellent written and verbal skills, creativity, personal initiative requiring ability to grasp business principles, dynamics and realities quickly
- Strategic thinking ability, personal initiative, solid relationship-building skills, creativity, ability to use good judgment and flexibility
- Demonstrates passion for and broad experience in public relations and related fields
- Excellent and strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experienced in working and interacting with senior leaders
- Solid collaboration and interpersonal skills.
- Problem-solver and decision-maker, with strong organizational skills and a self-starter with drive for results
- Ability to manage and prioritize heavy workload and meet deadlines in a fast‐ paced work environment. Ability to exercise discretion related to confidential material.
- Workload may demand working extended hours as necessary.
Who We Are
About Cox Automotive
There’s nothing ordinary about Cox Automotive. We are people of every background driven by our passion for mobility, innovation, client success and community outreach. We make buying, selling and owning (or simply using) cars easier for everyone. Touching more than 40,000 clients across five continents, we bring together the best brands and the best teams to propel the automotive industry forward. Some of those team members work for our iconic consumer brands like Autotrader and Kelley Blue Book, while others are creating the future of automotive at industry-facing brands like Dealer.com, Manheim and vAuto.
We are the Cox family of businesses. We’ve been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions – Cox Communications and Cox Automotive – are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. We’re also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. We’re looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope you’ll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer – All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.