Principal Software Engineer
What is the opportunity?
The Principal Software Engineer holds an engineering leadership role that drives development and guides peers in their abilities to contribute to initiatives with quality in mind. They guide technical discussion amongst the team, are an authority on engineering best practices, and help to shape business product offerings from a technical perspective through to delivery within various scrum teams.
Risk-taking is encouraged here, innovation a must, and we reward great results. Collaboration and support are woven into the fabric of everything we do; from 24-hour Hackathon groups to sprint reviews and scrum teams, you’ll be immersed in an environment that nurtures individualism, creative problem-solving, and intellect.
- Leader: We need someone who can inspire, motivate and cultivate empowered Engineering teams. Work across multiple scrum teams ensuring quality engineering standards.
- Technical: We need someone who has a strong foundational knowledge in the Microsoft .NET development stack. Working with the architecture team to design, develop and evolve solutions.
- Communication: We need someone who can give feedback (both positive and constructively critical). Communicate clearly and concisely to implement leading/best practices and processes to ensure alignment across the Engineering teams.
- Ownership: We want you to lead your team, celebrate successes and own the failures. In this role you’ll identify and manage technical risks and opportunities, taking responsibility for the quality of technical deliverables
- Innovation: Promote a culture of innovation that shares technology effectively and responsibly; you will refine and embody a cross-functional Engineering culture that works for all departments, encouraging knowledge transfer and professional growth
What will you do?
As a Principal Software Engineer, you will be responsible to lead a group of talented developers to create best in class vehicle ownership experience products. This is both a hands-on and lead role. The Principal Software Engineer will enable our Lender Services focus and will design and develop capabilities that will help us accelerate our Lender initiatives. This engineer will be working primarily with our Lender Solutions leadership and help build storing integration synergies with F&I solutions. Works with Product Management to understand the challenges that customers and end users face in their day-to-day work and partner with them to design viable solutions. Further details:
- Principal Software Engineer is assigned cross department projects and will work with multiple stakeholders across the company.
- Reviews, analyzes designs, modifies, develops, tests, documents, and implements software applications
- Experience designing implementing microservices at scale with containers
- Analyzes and resolves complex problems associated with applications systems. Detects, diagnoses, and reports related problems
- Prepares paperwork and attends departmental and project related meetings
- Recommends viable solutions to processes, technology, and interfaces that improve the effectiveness of the team and reduce technical debt.
- Foresees capacity requirements for component usage and identifies limitations.
- Provides input into story sizing, backlog grooming, and release planning.
- Contributes to product and solution designs to address critical issues and complex problems.
- Builds software applications across multiple platforms in response to the needs of stakeholders.
- Understands technical architecture and writes software and automated tests that are aligned with agreed upon standards.
- Performs trouble-shooting efforts and investigations when necessary.
- Provides ongoing support, monitoring, and maintenance of deployed products.
- Actively works with less experienced software engineers providing technical guidance and oversight.
- Actively participates in the engineering community, staying up to date on new software technologies and best practices and shares insights with others in the
What do you need to succeed?
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent combination of industry related professional experience and education
- Masters/ PHD degree in Computer Science preferred
- 10+ years of working experience
- Working experience in design, development, and implementation of highly scalable, high-volume software systems and components, client-facing web applications, and major Internet-oriented applications and systems
- Collaboration on applications from conception and design, to implementation and maintenance
- Experience using .NET Framework 3.5+, .NET Core 2.0+ and VS 2017 +
- Unit Testing Frameworks (e.g. NUnit, XUnit, Microsoft Visual Studio Tests, etc)
- Dependency Injection – Autofac or Castle Windsor
- CICD – hands on experience and comfort level (e.g. Jenkins preferred, Team City)
- PL SQL, Oracle Database, Oracle 11g + preferred
- GitHub and understanding of code-reviews using pull requests
- Good understanding of Agile Methodology using SAFe
- Knowledge over distributed applications, micro services and its underlying design patterns.
- Knowledge over Object Orientation, software design principles
- Experience developing resilient RESTful API’s.
Nice to have:
- Scrum Master certification (PSM or CSM)
- Modern Front-end frameworks such as React, React Native or Angular 5+
- AWS – Amazon Web Services certifications (Associate, Professional or Specialty levels):
AWS Solutions Architect, AWS Developer or AWS DevOps Engineer
- Overall Infrastructure knowledge (Virtualization, Load balancers, Firewalls, Networks, etc)
- NServiceBus, RabbitMQ knowledge.
- IOS Development (Objective-C)
What’s in it for you?
- We thrive on the challenge to be our best, progressive thinking to keep growing, and working together to deliver trusted advice to help our clients thrive and communities prosper. We care about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.
- A comprehensive Total Rewards Program including bonuses and flexible benefits, work life balance, competitive compensation.
- Leaders who support your development through coaching and managing opportunities.
- Ability to make a difference and lasting impact in the auto industry.
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team.
- Opportunities to do challenging work.
- Opportunities to take on progressively greater accountabilities.
Who We Are
About Cox Automotive
There’s nothing ordinary about Cox Automotive. We are people of every background driven by our passion for mobility, innovation, client success and community outreach. We make buying, selling and owning (or simply using) cars easier for everyone. Touching more than 40,000 clients across five continents, we bring together the best brands and the best teams to propel the automotive industry forward. Some of those team members work for our iconic consumer brands like Autotrader and Kelley Blue Book, while others are creating the future of automotive at industry-facing brands like Dealer.com, Manheim and vAuto.
We are the Cox family of businesses. We’ve been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions – Cox Communications and Cox Automotive – are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. We’re also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. We’re looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope you’ll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer – All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.