This position will lead and manage data governance for Cox Automotive Canada. You will be responsible for defining, implementing and improving the blueprint for effective data governance, considering things like data quality, security, metadata and master data management and other typical data governance topics as required. While the mandate is for a “policy maker” to establish and improve adherence to a company framework for data policies, standards and practices, you will be part of a fresh initiative and as such your approach needs to be practical and right sized while at the same time being able to scale quickly. Ultimately you will serve as a point of escalation for data governance, data quality and data protection issues and will work closely with business and functional area leadership to improve the quality and value of core data assets, respond to regulatory protection requirements as well as supporting the strategic requirements of the department. Our current top three strategic business priorities are:
- Empower a data-enabled workforce
- Facilitate new business insights and instill a business culture supported by data
- Enable the creation of new cross divisional data products
- Collaborate with stakeholders (internally and externally) across functions to develop policies and procedures which enforce repeatable and reliable processes, reducing variability, increasing efficiency and enhancing overall data quality and compliance.
- Establish and govern the company’s data governance roadmap and implementation plan reflecting strategic priorities for information-based capabilities.
- Oversee the definition and enhancement of and compliance with data quality standards and business rules.
- Manage data-governance related initiatives from inception to and including operation, including collecting business requirements and translating them into data solution specifications.
- Manage contribution of business and IT stewards in building and compiling business glossary and metadata repository with focus on increasing efficiency by making it easier to access the meaning of data and its context.
- Develop and maintain inventory of the enterprise information maps, including authoritative systems, owners and data elements.
- Participate in evaluation and selection of Data Governance software suite and oversee deployment and maintenance.
- Define and monitor metrics for data governance activities, adherence and exceptions.
- Participates in change management activities required to fix data quality and process issues.
- Develops and maintains productive working relationships with other Information Technology teams.
- Create and maintain detailed documentation.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned or apparent.
- Superior organizational skills; You are able to accomplish multiple tasks within agreed upon timeframes through effective prioritization of duties and functions in a fast-paced environment.
- Self-starter; You work independently but also collaborate with others to utilize their resources and knowledge to complete tasks, respond to department requests and ultimately deliver high quality solutions.
- Superior follow-up skills; You hold others and yourself accountable to meet internal and external timelines.
- You have a proven track record in building and maintaining strong relationships with internal and external customers and vendors.
- You demonstrated the ability to work horizontally as well as vertically within the organization
- You exhibit strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to present ideas and suggestions clearly and effectively to executive stakeholders as well as line of business employees.
- You are experienced in educating and influencing program stakeholders to successfully align to a common program approach, goals and objectives.
- Experience relative to role in educating and influencing program stakeholders regarding program goals, objectives and approach.
- You are at ease using office, project management and documentation management database systems (e.g. Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, MS Project, Smartsheet, SharePoint, etc.)
- You are familiar with data platforms, particularly Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, Amazon Web Services and other cloud-based enterprise data platforms.
- Ideally you are not just familiar with meta data but the data itself, are actually comfortable looking at the data inside systems and applications, understanding the business context and willing and able to play around with it yourself to some extent.
Ideally you are not just familiar with meta data but the data itself, are actually comfortable looking at the data inside systems and applications, understanding the business context and willing and able to play around with it yourself to some extent.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor or Master’s in Computer Science, Engineering, MIS, or Information Management
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working on data governance, information management and/or records management programs required. Retail or Services sector experience is highly preferred.
- Working knowledge of data protection strategies and implementation approaches.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience directly managing data governance platform (Informatica, Collibra, etc.)
- Amazing Benefits
- Full time permanent position
- At Cox Canada, our employees are our greatest asset.
Who We Are
About Cox Automotive
There’s nothing ordinary about Cox Automotive. We are people of every background driven by our passion for mobility, innovation, client success and community outreach. We make buying, selling and owning (or simply using) cars easier for everyone. Touching more than 40,000 clients across five continents, we bring together the best brands and the best teams to propel the automotive industry forward. Some of those team members work for our iconic consumer brands like Autotrader and Kelley Blue Book, while others are creating the future of automotive at industry-facing brands like Dealer.com, Manheim and vAuto.
We are the Cox family of businesses. We’ve been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions – Cox Communications and Cox Automotive – are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. We’re also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. We’re looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope you’ll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer – All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.