The Group General Counsel, Canada & Brazil (“GGC”) serves as a legal partner to all the Cox Automotive Canada & Brazil business units supporting Inventory, Lending and the Retail Solutions Group. The GGC is responsible for supporting collaboration across multiple business groups and practice areas to ensure a seamless experience for internal and external clients that optimizes Cox Automotive’s risk profile. This is a highly impactful and visible role, for a confident, proactive and collaborative lawyer that is responsible for providing strategic legal advice to the Cox Automotive Canada & Brazil Solutions Sets Senior Leadership Team in coordination with internal and external subject matter experts. Additionally, he/she must be able to provide advice and counsel on day-to-day matters on a wide range of corporate, transactional, and commercial matters that affect business operations, including review & drafting of product initiatives, litigation, complex contract negotiations, interpreting commercial contracts and partnering with the businesses to create operational efficiencies.
- Provides legal advice and counsel on a broad range of day-to-day operational legal topics, including commercial transactions, business operations, complex contract negotiations and general business matters.
- Stays abreast of the various’ group’s specific regulations and compliance matters and assists in ensuring that appropriate risk management strategies are in place.
- Act as trusted advisor on complex legal matters to business leaders across Cox Automotive in Canada & Brazil, providing key strategic advice in the development and execution of existing and new customer/partner relationships and business initiatives.
- In partnership with internal stakeholders to develop and execute action plans in order to resolve issues presented in contract negotiations.
- Reviews, advises on, and negotiates a variety of commercial contracts, including contracts covering software licensing, professional services, and online terms and conditions.
- Reviews and advises on new products and product enhancements within the Retail Solutions Group.
- Efficiently prioritize and coordinates with subject matter legal experts and Cox corporate in-house attorneys supporting other solutions groups to ensure efficient delivery of legal services.
- Experience with secured lending instruments provincially, including province of Quebec, Canada.
- Assists with the development and implementation of forms and procedures for contract and product review.
- Develops strong relationships with internal contacts, including, but not limited to, other Cox corporate in-house attorneys, Security, Risk Management, Finance, Human Resources and other appropriate departments to ensure a high service level and anticipate special needs.
- Responsible for identifying and helping to address difficult problems that may not be solved using existing practices and procedures; may have to respond and adapt to changing conditions or circumstances, requiring enterprise alignment and new approaches.
- Champion and support compliance and privacy program initiatives and continually evaluate its effectiveness, utilizing creative and innovative processes
Employee Engagement / Leadership
- Provide direct and overall management and leadership of team and to provide direction to legal activities, to support internal business functions and their clients.
- Foster open communication with management, and clearly communicate importance of team’s vision, objectives and priorities.
- Seek and share information and use appropriate influence strategies to enhance and sustain employee engagement.
- Be an agent and advocate for change. Lead and develop a culture of continuous improvement across the business.
- 15+ years’ of legal experience working on a wide range of legal matters. Previous in-house counsel experience preferred.
- 5+ years’ experience in progressive senior Leadership roles required, ideally inclusive of demonstrated experience with operational, matrix structure and people management experience is an asset.
- LL.B /J.D. degree, a member in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario.
- Proven experience in providing legal counsel for inventory and financial services business as well as software and services businesses, including drafting and negotiation of various types of commercial agreements.
- Experience in the automobile industry is a plus.
- Ability to partner with subject matter experts and other in-house Cox corporate attorneys to provide a seamless experience to internal clients in addressing and resolving legal issues.
- Proven track record of serving as a trusted advisor to senior leadership teams at a large company.
- A focus on client needs with a commitment to timing, quality and client service.
- An ability to influence, direct and build accountability through effective communication and fostering productive and supportive working relationships with internal and external constituencies.
- A business partner, who works well in partnership with business teams and is receptive to opposing views.
- Strong work ethic, business acumen and the ability to prioritize and follow through on numerous projects simultaneously.
- Proven leadership capabilities in providing vision & direction to effectively drive the legal department to higher performance.
- Ability to travel as necessary, 25% of the time.
- Understanding and experience with Brazilian legislation an asset.
- Other duties as needed or required.
- Fluency in the French and/or Portuguese language a plus.
- Requires physical ability and mental acuity to execute the duties of the position successfully within required timeframes in order to meet business requirements.
Who We Are
About Cox Automotive
There’s nothing ordinary about Cox Automotive. We are people of every background driven by our passion for mobility, innovation, client success and community outreach. We make buying, selling and owning (or simply using) cars easier for everyone. Touching more than 40,000 clients across five continents, we bring together the best brands and the best teams to propel the automotive industry forward. Some of those team members work for our iconic consumer brands like Autotrader and Kelley Blue Book, while others are creating the future of automotive at industry-facing brands like Dealer.com, Manheim and vAuto.
We are the Cox family of businesses. We’ve been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions – Cox Communications and Cox Automotive – are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. We’re also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. We’re looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope you’ll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer – All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.