The Shaw family's start in the automobile business dates back to the 1940's when Ken Shaw Sr. opened a service repair shop in Ballymoney, Northern Ireland.
After successfully repairing motor vehicles and servicing his customers, Ken emigrated to Canada in 1954 and began his new life in Toronto, where he started working at a Sunoco gas station on Spadina as a licensed mechanic.
In 1958 he acquired his own Sunoco gas station called Ken Shaw Sunoco on Dundas Street West near Scarlett Road.
In 1963, Ken Shaw Sr made the decision to start selling cars. Ken Shaw Motors Limited had begun. He took on the Renault brand and started selling new vehicles to the public for the first time. This required him to move to a new location at 4005 Dundas Street West just down the road from his Sunoco station.
His successful ways and how he looked after customers caught the eye of a growing car company fairly new to Canada - Toyota. Toyota soon approached Ken Shaw Sr, and together they agreed Ken Shaw Motors would take on the Toyota franchise. On December 3rd, 1968, Ken Shaw Toyota opened its doors to the public. It wasn't long before record sales were happening and Toyota began to quickly grow in Canada. In 1971, Ken Shaw Sr. acquired Kingsway Collision, a body shop next door to Ken Shaw Motors. With this addition the dealership was able to become a full service operation, offering sales, service, parts and body repairs to their clients.